Recipe: Jan Waddington, Waddingtons at Kergunyah
2kg free range Berkshire pork shoulder
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
4 cloves garlic
3 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cup orange juice
½ cup sherry
2 tbsp olive oil
Heat oven to 200C
1. Heat a small pan and toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until they begin to brown.
2. Using a small mortar and pestle, crush the spices with garlic, salt and oregano to form
3. Add juice, sherry and olive oil to the paste and mix well to combine as a marinade.
4. Rub the pork all over with the marinade and then cover and leave overnight.
5. Place pork in a baking dish, uncovered, in the 200C preheated oven. Cook until rind is brown, then reduce oven to 150C, cover the pork with foil and continue to cook slowly for
at least 4 hours or until pork can be pulled apart.
Serve whole, ready to carve topped with fennel sprigs and a handful of fresh cumin seeds.